Merry Christmas, or should it be Me-Renewable Christmas as it has been confirmed that the 25th December 2016 was the greenest Christmas day on record, with renewables providing 40% of the UK’s power compared to 25% on the same day in 2015.
With Storm Barbara battering the UK in the build up to Christmas and Storm Conor arriving on Christmas day, it is no surprise that wind power contributed to almost 75% of the total renewables generation that day. However, clear skies in many parts of the Country allowed solar PV to provide a significant contribution to the other 25%, with 12.4 GW of total renewable energy generated that day.
Solar has helped set new records over the last 12 months including;
- June 2016 – highest ever contribution from solar to total UK demand
- Q1 2016 – highest ever quarterly renewables generation
- Q3 2016 – outperforming coal for electricity generation
If your business is interested in finding out how solar can benefit your business, contact us today.